Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Israeli pol's tough talk is hilarious

Max Blumenthal could "feel the hate" in Jerusalem last week (as noted in my preceding post). Now there's evidence animosity towards the Obama administration is very much alive in Israel's government.
The Jerusalem Post reports that an Israeli cabinet minister has sent an 11-page letter to colleagues decrying what he sees as a hostile shift in U.S. policy and suggesting ways the Jewish state could respond.
Among his suggestions, according to the newspaper: "reconsidering military and civilian purchases from the U.S., selling sensitive equipment that Washington opposes distributing internationally, and allowing other countries that compete with the U.S. to get involved with the peace process and be given a foothold for their military forces and intelligence agencies."
He also recommends Israelis and Jewish Americans withdraw support to and undermine Democrats in U.S. elections. That'll send a message, he says, and prompt Dems to pressure the president to change his position.
An "anti-war" commentator points out the story is full of hilarity, for several reasons. Israeli military purchases are made with U.S. money. Israel has been selling sensitive technology to other countries for years and years. The idea of punishing Washington by inviting other countries to get involved in the messy "peace process" is beyond hilarious.
And, of course, it's no secret that Israel has been involving itself in U.S. politics for decades. Surely you've heard of AIPAC.
Rather than devising retaliation strategies and refusing to budge on issues like West Bank settlement, Israeli politicians would serve their constituents better by trying to lower the political temperature and working for a lasting peace.
At least, that's how I see it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Politicians are astounding. . . Isreal or elsewhere.
The particular irony in this case is extraordinary.

Mike said...

Thanks for dropping by again, Sagacious One. Hope this means you're back in the bloggging groove. :-)

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

You speak truth, Stimpson. Israel loves taking our money, but they don't want us to make any comments or take any actions that are contrary to their right-wing policies...I got you linked.

Mike said...

Thanks, MacDaddy. I'll add you to my blogroll right away. (Sorry for the delay. I've been out of town and mostly away from the Net the last few days.)

I am intrigued and have a bit of hope these days that the Obama administration might actually make Israel live up to its commitments. We'll see.

Vigilante said...

All: Points well taken.

We are already the landlords on the banks of the Euphrates and Tigris rivers, and will be taxing ourselves to support the infrastructure there for decades, thanks to the recklessness adventurism of Busheney. Now we are on the verge of becoming the absentee landlords of the Israeli Settlers on the West Bank of the Jordan River? How many Americans want to fund this anymore?

I say we stand to get a better R.O.I. funding that other failing state, Pakistan!

How do you like dem apples?

Vigilante said...

(Subscribing)

Mike said...

Vigilante: thanks for your input. I hadn't given any thought to the matter of ROI. My mind has been on what's right and what's wrong, and who are the oppressed and who are the oppressors. (Not that I believe you don't consider these things. I'd be shocked if you didn't.)

I've added Sozodee CA, which I disovered only a few days ago, to my blogroll. Cheers.

Vigilante said...

I consider the oppression index after I consider American national interests. In this instance I come out with the same conclusions as you.

(You were added to my blogroll a couple of days ago.)