So Paul Haggis, double Oscar winner for Crash, has left the science-fiction cult he joined more than 30 years ago.
His decision is being lauded for bravery, but still my main thought is that he was a darn fool to get sucked in by $cientology in the first place.
His letter to the cult's main mouthpiece slams the cult for supporting California's Proposition 8 and breaking up families through its "disconnection" policy, but says nothing of how utterly ridiculous $cientology doctrine is.
The missive also says nothing against the practice of keeping new recruits in the dark about that whole Xenu story.
And he isn't renouncing the absurd beliefs. As one commenter at Movieline asked, "But does he still believe we're clusters of bug-people?" The answer to that question is, apparently, yes.
(Here I guess I ought to point out that it's more accurate to say $cientologists believe we have clusters of alien souls in our bodies, not that "we're clusters of bug people.")
Haggis has left the cult for good reasons, but not for all the right reasons.
Congratulations to him, anyway, and kudos for giving the despicable Tommy Davis a well-deserved blast of outrage.
Monday, October 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
I lived in Clearwater, Florida, for 10 years. Ask me about Scientology.
At one point, I volunteered to teach remedial reading to grammar school kids. I went for training only to discover that the remedial program was run by the Scientologists and Scientology was what the remedial reading program was about.
I walked out.
When I first moved to Clearwater, I wanted to know more about Scientology, so I went to the Clearwater Library and checked out a video with L.Ron Hubbard talking about it in an interview. He could not articulate what Scientology was! His answers were convoluted, irrational, and sensless. I couldn't believe my ears. Here was the founder of this cult and even HE didn't know what it was about.
I also checked out one of Scientology's own books about their beliefs written by L.Ron. I remember sitting at my sister's kitchen table and reading some of the passages out loud. She and I fell on the floor, helpless with laughter. Her husband, on his computer in the next room, thought we were reading a comedian's rountine. When we told him we were reading Scientology's doctrines, he didn't believe us--until he came into the kitchen and read some of the chapters himself.
Scientology is a business--it's the only "religion" on the planet where congregants has to pay to join. It is only recently in its existence that Scientology began to display a Christian cross. That was probably what helped them in bribing the IRS to give them tax-exempt status.
Scientology is based on the ramblings of L. Ron Hubbard's and his science fiction stories.
Before I left Clearwater and moved back to the Northeast, I copied the Xenu story from the internet and stuck it into all the Scientology books in the Clearwater Library, as well as artfully placing the copies in and around certain cafes and stores in downtown Clearwater [which is run by the Scientologists].
yep, it's a business. And a complete sham and scam. Amazing that LRH managed to con so many people and still does, long after "dropping his body."
Ponzism?
Pyramid scheme, definitely, when the Co$ basically had franchise holders who raked in commissions for recruits. Tom Cruise's first wife (Mimi Rogers) and her father were paid by the Co$ for each recruit, and apparently got commissions on every service their recruits bought. Kinda like Amway.
What is it about $cientology and celebrities?
I've just recently (the past year) spent a lot of time in the fiction section of the local big box book store and was surprised to see the rowS of L.Ron Hubbard books.
Strange. Maybe I need to do some research.
You know, STimpson, you're the only 'like minded' commentary I've read on this Haggis event. I happen to agree with you... though I have my own xeno-phobite theories to espouse! LOL Seriously... I like what you've said here. As to the 'business element'... well golly gee, whom do you think has the largest bank & real estate holdings in world? Though they are lacking new recruits, so they are trying for a relegio-corp merger with Henry's Angelicans. ....
Post a Comment